Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Yikes! I am tagged by LivingSword!

This is the "page 161 tag", where we quote a complete sentence from page 161 of something we are reading. Thus, from "The Rise and Fall of Alexandria", we have: "But if Ptolemy thought that assassinating Caesar's enemy would make him Caesar's friend, or that it would encourage the Romans to fight their civil wars elsewhere, he had seriously misunderstood Roman politics."

As with Livingsword's quote from "The Rise and Fall of the British Empire", this is about leadership, but it is much more cynical. Caesar chased Pompey to Alexandria, and Ptolemy, the King of Alexandria, killed Pompey thinking he would gain some favors with the Romans. Instead, Ptolemy provided a pretext for invasion to the Romans. Is there an application to church leadership?

Don't know many to tag, but here are some new victims:

Bunc
Marf

4 comments:

Marf said...

Heh, ok. I did it. And it's quite an interesting book I happen to be reading as well...

Marf said...

I screwed up the link, didn't I? Here's my Page 161 tag.

Livingsword said...

Hi Looney!

LOL

I love the “Rise and Fall” continuity! Maybe that’s a new “tag”!

Caesar was also not fond of others thinking they could or should kill Romans. In doing this Ptolemy also insulted Caesar’s dignitas as they took away from Caesar’s “glory” by murdering Pompey…

Don’t try to people please, concentrate upon God…

Thanks Looney, interesting choice, I appreciate you playing along.,..

Looney said...

LS, thanks for getting the right lesson from that passage. I knew there was something in there that was proper from a Christian viewpoint, but couldn't quite put my finger on it.