Sunday, May 25, 2008

Treachery and Hillary.

I have a bit of sympathy for Hillary. Perhaps we should call this crocodile empathy to match the usual concept of crocodile tears. Given all of the scandals that turned up during her career, and the faithfulness of the media in supporting her through these events, why turn on her now in her moment of need?

A good portion of the reason is simply that the media now has Obama as their favored candidate. They aren't really turning on Hillary, so much as giving her a more neutral treatment. Now Obama will receive the kind of superhero treatment that the Clintons received. A few days ago, I had heard about an elderly Chineses lady who had been helping both the Clinton and Obama campaigns. The Clinton campaign was mostly elderly ladies having a good time. The Obama campaign was mostly young zealots where even a joke against Obama could not be tolerated. She said that it reminded her of the red guards in China during the cultural revolution. Both groups involved students who were fanatically loyal. Don't know if history is repeating itself, but the media certainly isn't going to be helpful in making decisions.

5 comments:

Delirious said...

Wow, what a great connection she made between the Obama/ Clinton campaigns and the old Red Guard! Very telling....

I shudder at the thought of Hillary Clinton being president. I think some of my feelings come not from a political stance as from observing her actions as a person. I see duplicity, I see dishonesty, I see chameleon behavior to adapt to the "party line". I just pray that the American people agree with me

Looney said...

At this point, I don't think that the US has much of a choice between bad candidates. As bad as Hillary is, Obama makes me more nervous. His church, the United Church of Christ, derives its theology mostly by negating Christian theology and then condemning anyone who adheres to what Jesus really taught. McCain doesn't like Republicans and Republicans don't like him, so it is going to be difficult for him to win.

Delirious said...

If there weren't so much ignorance in the Christian world about what LDS believe, I think McCain would be wise to choose Mitt Romney as a running mate. But I think so many Christians have been taught that Mormons are "of the devil", and wouldn't vote for McCain simply because of Romney's religion. But I do think that Romney would be the best choice for a running mate.

Delirious said...

And I do agree with you, I don't think there is much of a "best choice" among the three.

Looney said...

If I had to pick a Mormon vp, it would probably be senator Hatch. Romney still seems to me a bit weak on several things. For example, it seems he opposes gay marriage merely because this is the traditional thing to do, but can't come out and say that homosexuality is an evil force which is destructive to society. On most other issues, I find that the Republicans are tongue tied and simply can't explain anything.