Friday, April 04, 2008

'Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!". ' - Revelation 6:6

It would be difficult to feed a family on that kind of an income.

This was brought to mind by the news regarding price hikes to rice. As the financial times reports, "
The rise in prices - 50 per cent in two weeks - threatens upheaval and has resulted in riots and soldiers overseeing supplies in some emerging countries, where the grain is a staple for about 3 billion people." Another report has corn price at $6 per bushel whereas it was $2.15 per bushel in 2003. I am usually not into the apocalyptic views of dispensationalists, but this doesn't look good.

The next verse isn't about Clint Eastwood:

'I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.' - Revelation 6:8

The news says that ethanol producers are planning to take 30% of the US corn crop in 2009. Given the international market for food, the resources of rich countries compared to poor, and the passion of environmentalists, we could go a long way towards fulfilling this prophecy.

3 comments:

Delirious said...

I think it is wise to store up a little food. Not the convenience foods, but the foods that would keep you alive if needed. Wheat/rice/beans/oil/water/pasta/salt/sugar...staples such as these won't yield a banquet, but they will keep you alive.

Looney said...

Back when Gray Davis was making his crisis with the power companies, I did prepare a cache of cooking fuel and drinking water. My concern was that this would run out before the food did.

It did have me pondering what it would mean to take "love your neighbor as yourself" seriously if the crisis hit and I was the only one in the neighborhood who was prepared.

Delirious said...

I have thought that same thing. In our religion we are taught to store a year supply of food and fuel, and as much water as possible. I know that if there were a crisis situation, I would want to share that with my neighbors. But most often, I have seen people use that year supply when out of a job, more than in a crisis situation.