Saturday, April 28, 2007

Training for the 50 mile run in Almaden Quicksilver Park.

I only covered about 23 or 24 miles of the route today. It was a scorcher compared to the cool weather we have been having so I was feeling a bit lethargic. What didn't help was finding toilets locked (opening time is 8:00) and minimal water. The Hacienda park entrance had a water spigot that took me several minutes to drip water into my Camelbak and the Hicks/Wood road entrance had none. This caused me to cut the effort short, but at least I got to explore the park a bit and familiarize myself with the route.

The main goal was to get a timing on the first section from the Mockingbird Hill Road entrance to Capehorn pass. Today's was 2:45, but I will probably be carrying about 5 pounds less during the actual event. The splits from the last 50 miler give a range from 2:00 to 3:14 with 2:45 being about the median. This looks good for a 6 to 6:30 50k run and some hope of completing the 50 mile distance in 11 hours. Many of the uphills were quite runnable and I need to work on this, particularly when I am tired.

No comments: